Saturday, May 5, 2007

Homemade Beancurd

I have been doing quite a fair bit of cooking this few days due to the holidays and I have been exploring in how to make my own egg beancurd using soya bean milk. I used to buy the silken tofu packed in a square box almost every week from the supermarket. So I was telling hubby Suki why not I try to make my own beancurd which I think is more healthy cos it minus the preservative they added in the tofu.

Went to the wet market and bought one packet of soya bean milk ( without sugar ) and here I go to try out my own homemade beancurd at home.

What you need is :

Ingredients :

500ml soya bean milk

4 eggs , beaten

1/2 tsp salt

A dash of pepper and chicken stock granules

Method :
1. Combine all ingredients and mix well.

2. Pour mixture into a bowl.

3. Bring water to boil then lower the heat and steam for 10 minutes or until set. Remove and let it cool.


Note :

1. I am using my National Rice Cooker to steam the beancurd. My 1st attempt failed cos I steam too long ( about 15 minutes at high heat ) and the texture of the beancurd is not smooth.

2. My 2nd attempt I try to steam at low heat for about 8 minutes and let the mixture set in the rice cooker for another 2 minutes and the result is ----> smooth and silky beancurd.

3. Homemade beancurd can be used to prepare steamed beancurd with shallot oil or oyster sauce, or deep fry crispy and fragrant beancurd or you can use it for beancurd seafood soup.

No comments: