Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Dark Soya Pork with Eggs

My Ah Ma used to cook 'Dark Soya Pork with Eggs' at home when we are kids. In Hokkien they called it ' Tau Eeu Bak with Lor Neng'. This is one of my favourite since young and with just one dish, I can eat a whole plate of rice with the sauce. Same goes to my kids and Dearie Suki and they love it so much. I think all of us are meat eaters and it runs in the family.


My Ah Ma's 'Tau Eeu Bak' has more sauce and for me I like it dry and hence less sauce. Also cook this 2 weeks ago.

Here is the recipe to share.


Ingredients :
500gm pork belly, cut into 3 cm thick
3 cups water
10 peppercorns, crushed
10 cloves garlic, with skin and washed
4 hard boiled eggs , shelled


Seasoning :
1 1/2 tbsp dark soya sauce
2 tbsp light soya sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar


Method :
1. Bring 3 cups of water to boil. Add in peppercorns and all seasoning.
2. Add in pork and hard boiled eggs. Simmer for about 30 minutes before adding the garlic cloves.
3. Continue to simmer over a slow fire until meat is tender, about another 20 minutes.
4. Serve with steamed white rice or porridge.


This dish is best served the next day to allow its flavour to develop.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter's favourtie also. Actually, my daughter also has many favourites. The only problem is she won't eat the egg yolk.

Nice with sambal belacan. Mmmm....I want some now! :)

Cat Cat said...

Sue,
Those Dark Soya Pork with Eggs looks so good... Yeah, I remember my mom used to cook it too and we used to eat it with sambal belacan. YUM YUM!

Sue Sue said...

Judy,
My girl also same won't eat the yolk. Don't know where she learn. At home no body ask her not to eat the yolk!

catcat,
Eh I haven't come across that this dish can eat with sambal belacan. Must try with it one day.

ICook4Fun said...

Sue, my mother too like to cook this dish during festive season. We called it 'Hong Bak' and it taste ven better the next day

snoopy said...

Yummy! that is my favourite. If cook with the "chu shou" front legs will be better...