Monday, July 30, 2007

Hot & Peppery Soup (Lat Thong)

I was organizing my photos folder in my computer and came across few of my recipes which I have not blog. Oh my... I think I am old already and totally forgot about it until I saw the pictures in the folders.

Since I am not going to do much cooking this week due to travelling and tight deadline in the office, so mights well I share the recipe with all of you now before I totally forget about it.

Hot & Peppery Soup or we used to call it ' Lat Thong' is one of the popular dish from my hometown Kajang. There are quite a no. of restaurants selling this dish in Kajang and I have not come across any in KL or PJ. Perhaps there is 1 in Seri Kembangan. So Klang is popular with 'Bak Kut Teh' but Kajang is popular with 'Lat Thong'.

Cook this last 2 weeks and lately it has been raining in the evening and ' Lat Thong' will be the soup to enjoy during this rainy days because of its hot and peppery taste. Brought my 'Ci mui' to eat one day and you know what they tell me. Taste very similar to our 'Pig Stomach Soup' and they enjoy it so much.

For the soup base I uses :
A bunch of Yok Chuk
A handful of Kei Zhi ( Wolfberries )
About 6 pieces of Dong Gui
Some ginger, sliced thinly
20 -30 whole white peppercorns ( crushed )
2 litres of water
1 Kampung Chicken ( approximately 1 kg ), chopped into small pieces
200gm Pork Belly, sliced thinly
1 packet Enoki Mushroom or button mushroom
1 tsp salt and 1 tsp rock sugar
A bunch of coriander leaves

Method :
1. Bring the water to boil.
2. Add in Yok Chuk, Kei Zhi, Dong Gui, Ginger and White Peppercons. Let it boil for about 2 hours.
3. Then add in the chicken and pork belly and let it boil for another hour. Season with salt and rock sugar to taste.
4. Add in Enoki Mushroom or Button Mushroom and simmer for another 10 minutes.
5. Turn off heat and topped with coriander leaves. Serve soup with a bowl of white rice and some chopped garlic and chilli padi with soya sauce.

Note :
1. Some restaurant added in the pig's intestine eg: liver, kidney, stomach, or 'cheong' into the soup.


So what do you think? Similar to 'Bak Kut Teh' ? You can also serve with some ' Yau Char Kuai' with the 'Lat Thong'. Try it out today and you will enjoy it.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woooooo, this is one I've never had before. Must be a new dish in Malaysia, no?

Looks nice wor......

Sue Sue said...

Judy,
I think is one of the new dish here in Malaysia but one of the common dish in my hometown.

snoopy said...

Yesssss! this is the soup that my mother loves to prepare when come raining season.