Sunday, August 26, 2007

Hungry Ghost Festival

Today is a hot sunny Sunday morning. Little Ee-Thern woke up at 9 am while Le-Ann woke up as early as 7 am. Me too tired and sleep till Ee-Thern woke me up. Today I planned to bring the kids fo a haircut as I cannot stand Ee-Thern's hair. So long liao. While waiting to go, the kids yelling at me and ask me to go out and see aeroplane and I was wondering why they are so excited. They saw few fighther jet on the air and I think they must be rehearsing for the coming Merdeka Parade. My Ee-Thern boy got so exicited jumping up and down ask me to have a look at it.


After they finished their milk, I get the maid to pack their stuffs and not going to take bath for them until after they cut their hair. I used to bring both to the hair salon in South City Plaza for a hair cut and OMG... per person is RM12. End up I bring them back to Kajang to a hair salon operated from house and only cost RM4 per person. Luckily both of them sit down quietly and let the aunty cut their hair. Done! We head back to Ah Mah's house and we are the earliest. Mom, dad and sis is not back yet.



Both of them play around with Faye Yiyi and then take ther bath. Mom and dad came back at 11 am and 'piling palang' started to cook in the kitchen. I ask mom why cook so many foods and she said today is the Hungry Ghost Festival ( in Chinese Calendar is 14th July ) and we have prayer at Ah Mah's house. As usual mom and dad and Aunty SH will prepare all the stuffs for prayers.

Mom make some Yam Cake back and ask me to try. Once open, oh gosh... Mom's food presentation is real bad. I was complaining to her why can't she cut the yam cake nicely and arrange neatly on a nice container and have some garnishing on top like chopped spring onion and red chilli rather than everything chuck into the container. Then she started to scold me...'If want to eat don't complaint so much'. I kept quiet and eat her yam cake cos in morning didn't take breakfast. So no choice got to eat her yam cake. Actually her yam cake is nice but only bad in presentation. I started to snap some pictures and she ask why I do that. I happily told her I wanted to show the whole world how ugly is her yam cake. Hahaha....I quickly cabut and change topic with her.

Dad wanted to make some fried wantan and Mom prepared the fish paste + minced pork + minced prawn for the filling. I was helping mom to wrap the wantan into triangular shape and I realized mom like to nag so much. Maybe old people is like this. Then here comes my KPC Le-Ann wanted to help PoPo to wrap the wantan.



This is yummy. I love it so much. Keep eating non-stop with chilli sauce.


Today is just like a big 'makan' feast in Ah Mah's house. Dad cook all these for prayers. Clockwise from top left we have Fried Tanghoon ( its my late Ah Kong's favourite), Mixed Vegetables with Prawns ( don't know why whenver we have prayers, dad will cook this boring dish), Black Pepper Pig's Stomach Soup with Mushroom, and Steamed Kampung Chicken.


This fish is nice. Dad said is Ikan Terubuk and its from Sarawak. I don't whether is Uncle HH bought this or Dad. Anyway the flesh is nice but full with small bones. Dad steamed it with tauchoo and added in some chilli padi.

After all lunch, I went back early cos Le-Ann is having her Yamaha Music Kid's concert in the evening. At the concert it is a big dissapointment for me. She 'chicken out' and refuse to go on the stage to perform and sing with other kids. After so many months of bringing her to the music class, all the efforts that I put in on her and this is what I get from her... "Mommy I don't want to go MUSIC School". Sigh. Is she too young for this? I really don't know. Now I understand how a parent felt when your kids tell you this. Same goes to me when I am young, I told my dad I got no interest in PIANO but 'die die' he want me to finish up to Grade 8. Finally I did it just to fulfil his wish but deep inside of me, I got no interest for music. I hope my little Le-Ann will not be like me!

12 comments:

Cat Cat said...

Sue,
You are sooooooooo lucky to live very close to your parents. All the yummy food that your have there. I called my mom this morning and she told me about "Ching Ming"... Boy, I missed all those festivals - Ching Ming, Mooncake Festival...
I missed HOME!!!!!

Anonymous said...

SueSue, wah, making me hungry with all the lovely food. So much food.

I am glad you are not one of those pushy mums who forced your daughter to go. It can be quite detrimental. I think when the time is right, she will ask to go herself. :)

ICook4Fun said...

Sue, what a spread of food. All so nice. Reminds me of home :( :( This is something my mom will for us. Your mother is like my mother lah..cannot complain about her cooking as she will marah us also. Sue, are you originally from Kajang? I used to go to school there and very familiar with Kajang and my brother still stay at Bukit Mewah.

My Rantings said...

Haha! You terrible daughter you! Can complain your mum's food presentation very bad! If your mum's so poor with food presentation, how did she produce a daughter like you who's so good at it ah? :D

Hey, don't worry about your girl's reluctance to perform. My #1 also like that during kindy until my in-laws don't want to go & see any more of her concert! But just recently, she took part in a local singing competition on her own free will! I also tit ngan keng! She only made it to semi-final but that too was quite amazing to me! So don't worry about your girl lah! :D

I like your fried wantan leh. Looks so easy! :D

snoopy said...

Sue, your ah mah's house seems always have big feast.....and yours too. My mum wouldn't want to cook so mamy because she said already cook for 60 over years, so is time to cook some simple and easy food. If I cook, she will nag beside me...this one not right, have to put that one first....my cooking never pass her QC....hmm

Sue Sue said...

catcat,
I think I am lucky to married a hubby who also stay near to my mom's place. hahaha... that the advantages. Even Chinese New Year Eve I also makan at my mom's place first before I balik my MIL house.

Judy,
Hopefully I am not too pushy towards her.My Dearie Suki got different views and he thinks I shouldn't expose her at such a young age. But for me it is just an exposure for her so that she is independent at young and an eye opnener to her. Maybe what I am thinking is wrong but see how it goes, if she really got no interest got to look at other activities. I think I am just another 'KIASU' mommy.

Wan,
My dad from Kajang but both my parents stay in PJ. Me grown u in Kajang and stay with my Ah Mah in Sg Chua.

What a small world. I study in Convent Kajang and then did my Form 6 in Kajang High School. So u also from Kajang?

Dancing queen,
Hahaha... terrible ya me complain bout my mom's food presentation. Maybe different ppl different character. Mom and dad love to cook but 'chin chai' one and my dad's cooking is more 'geng' than mom. Sis loves to eat but don't like to cook. Me likes to cook and eat.So you see all come from the same produce but different character.

Snoopy,
Yes lor my Ah Mah's house is like a gathering place for us. When comes to weekend or holidays the house will full of ppl.

ICook4Fun said...

Sue, I also study at Convent Kajang lah. What a small world but of course not same year lah..I am so much your senior :) I am very familiar with Sg Chua too because most of my friend lived there. No wonder your muka looks very familiar to me. I must have bump into you sometimes :)

Anggie's Journal said...

hmmmm... ur whole family all good in cooking ..., ah mah house at kajang ar ? aiyah.. should ask me to drop by mah for some bite for the fried wantan .....hahaha
mayb old people dun look at presentation in food, as long as it's taste good, but our generation, everything must look "leng" ...hehehe
Abt ur girl, mayb later she will like music oneday, there always change .

Home Cooking said...

alamakkk, all those food r make me hungry. ur kids so cute sue.

Anonymous said...

Le-Ann learns music in L.S. music school???? haha i know cause' they been fussing abt the concert these few weeks. Tho' i wasn't involved cause' still new. I am under L.S. too, teaching in Allamanda putrajaya! :D

Anonymous said...

Oh i forgot to add..

ur kids are so guai and not mind to go for hair-cut.. somemore can SMILE so sweetly at camera!!!

I remember mom used to CHASE me around when she wants to cut my hair.. and i'd be crying away like there's no tomorrow. WAHAHAHAHA! Dono why leh.. maybe cause i wanted to grow long hair. or i tot cut oredi then the hair won't grow liao!!! kids! hahaha!

eyer.. if only i have such cute studentssss :D

Sue Sue said...

Wan,
Really ah u also from Convent. Wah, my senior ya. Maybe you know my aunty la who knows cos they also studied in Convent.

Anggie,
Yes lor all my family member very good in eating and cooking one. Me still at the stage of learning not so keng as my dad and uncle.

Isha,
Thanks for the comment. My kids looks cute but damn naughty.

Jane,
My ah girl study her music kids at Shaw Music Centre near South City Plaza. Izzit under LS too. Same one ah. I also blur blur. So you teach music ya. Do you know violin?

My kids cute hair only 'guai' but other than that naughty until 'kek sei yan'