I search through the web yesterday and found that the scientific name for Petai is called Parkia Speciosa.
You will be surprise that this green coloured beans got so much goodness. To know read from here.
It is not easy to get Petai in the market and I think this is a seasonal item. Last Tuesday went to the Pasar Malam in SS13 and saw this Malay man selling the Petai RM5 for 3 ikat. So I bought it and yesterday I cook 'Sambal Petai' for dinner and I added in ikan bilis and fried sliced potatoes.
Here is the recipe :
1 cup peeled petai seeds
2 potatoes, sliced thinly
1 cup ikan bilis
Some chopped onions
Salt & Sugar to taste
1/2 cup asam jawa juice
Grounded ingredients :
20 dried chillies
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp belachan stock granules
1. Fried sliced potatoes till soft and golden brown. Dish up and set aside.
2. Fried ikan bilis till crispy and golden brown. Dish up and set aside.
3. Heat oil in the pan and saute the onion till fragrant.
4. Then add in the grounded chilli paste until fragrant and oil rises.
5. Put in petai and stir-fry briskly.
6. Add in asam jawa juice and and seasoning.
7. Simmer till gravy becomes thick.
8. Add in the fried potatoes and ikan bilis and stir till well mixed. Dish up and serve hot with rice.
Note : I have some left over rice and I used it for fried chilli rice. What you need to do is :