Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Fried Rice Vermicelli With Bovril

Last Saturday, I Fried Rice Vermicelli with BOVRIL for the kids lunch. I was clearing up my drawer in the office and came across some old recipe card used by my promoters to promote BOVRIL in East Malaysia back in year 2005. I am not a great fan for BOVRIL and what I always have in mind is MARMITE cos I grew up with it. Even now I gave both Le-Ann and Ee-Thern, Marmite almost everyday in their meal and both of them loves it so much.


I would like to share with you, besides from using BOVRIL in our porridge and hot drinks or soup, you can now even fried rice vermicelli with it and this is to substitute the oyster sauce, soya sauce or even dark soya sauce. Well, taste wise OK leh for me. How about you? Try it out today.




Here is the recipe.


Ingredients :
1/2 pkt of rice vermicelli, soaked in water till soft, drained
Some mustard green ( sawi ), cut into 5cm length, washed
Fish cakes, cut into small pieces
Some chopped garlic
Omelette for garnishing

Sauce Ingredients:
1 bowl of water
2 tbsp BOVRIL
1 tbsp ikan bilis/chicken granules
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt

Method :
1. Heat oil in wok. Saute garlic till fragrant. Add fish cakes and stir-fry for another 1 minute.
2. Add sawi and pile rice vermicelli on top. Add sauce ingredients. Cover wok for 10 minutes and cook over medium heat. ( do not stir )
3. Remove cover and stir-fry until well mixed. Cover wok for another 2 minutes and turn off heat. Allow noodles to stand in wok for 10 minutes before serving.
4. Dish out noodles and garnish with omelette.



My Le-Ann finished up the whole plate of fried rice vermicelli but my little Ee-Thern refused to eat at all and he only ate the fishcakes. Ah Boy, that bad meh the taste!

10 comments:

SIG said...

Le-Ann looks like she is enjoying the beehoon. Check out that pose on her. Haha. My girl does that too.

Cat Cat said...

Fulamak, never thought of cooking fried rice vermicelli with Bovril... Oit oit, itu piano apasal kasi tutup sama kain..??? Itu habuk banyak ke??

Anonymous said...

When I read about Marmite chicken, I thought "What"??
Now Bovril meehoon? Double what??

I think like Marmite, Bovril is also something you either like or dislike.

zewt said...

cookingmomster... hahaha... i really dig that.

Par said...

Interesting looking meal. I never use that before.

ICook4Fun said...

Sue, this is very interesing. Frying meehoon with Bovril but I not sure if I can find Bovril here.

Retno Prihadana said...

Bovril? it´s new for me. But I used to cook mihun (rice vermicelly) with oyster sauce.

Sue Sue said...

Singairishgirl,
She certainly enjoy the fried beehoon.

catcat,
Yes lor banyak habuk la thats why I close up with kain.

Judy,
Hahaha... I also same loves Marmite so much. I used to use it for cooking.

Zewt,
Thanks for visiting.

ilovepearly,
try it quite interesting if you love Bovril.

Wan,
Yes lor in US hard to find Bovril.The people there dont like it. We did a research before with few American on taste test. Once they tried u know what they say? --- I rather you kill me than having to eat that black shit paste. hahaha

Retno,
It is also something new to me.Trying to cook more varities of food more the kids.

Unknown said...

I love Bovril!! Those time it was Bovril with beef. I used to experiment frying it with mi tai mug when I was a teenager and my friends said I had weird taste. hehe ...

East Meets West Kitchen said...

I haven't seen Bovril for years! Thanks for bringing me back memory lane! :)