Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Yam with Pork

First time making this dish and in Cantonese they called it "Wu Tou Kow Yoke" or simply it means "Yam with Pork Belly". Both me and Dearie Suki usually ordered this when we eat outside. While I was flipping through the Oriental Cuisine Magazine -Feb'07 issue in the office, I came across this and I found out it is actually quite easy to prepare.

My hubby's aunt who is the expert doing this dish always tell me it is hard to do and very troublesome and when I try to get the recipe from her she will twist and turn and tell me all her grandmother stories. Aiyar... just a recipe why izzit so hard to give meh.

Finally I give it try and ehh... not too bad wor. It is not as hard and troublesome as she mentioned to me. So what do you think ?

Here is the recipe to share.


Ingredients :
500gm pork belly ( with skin )
1 yam peeled
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp cornflour for thickening


Seasoning A:
2 pcs red fermented beancurd ( smashed )
1 tbsp sauce of the red fermented beancurd
1 1/2 tsp soya bean paste / tauchoo
3 pcs star anise
4 pcs cloves
1 inch cinnamon


Seasoning B :
1 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp dark soya sauce
1 tbsp Hsiao Hsing Wine
2 bowls of water


Method :
1. Blanch pork belly in boiling water for 15 minutes, then rub with some dark soya sauce while hot, then pierce the skin with a pork.
2. Heat frying pan with some oil, then saute the pork till both side turns brown. Dish out and rinse under water until skins shows fine lines. Then cut into 2 cm thick slices.
3. Cut the yam as the size of the meat. Then arrange them alternately in a deep bowl with the pork skin facing down.
4. Heat 2 tbsp oil and saute the garlic and seasoning A until fragrant. Then pour in seasoning B and bring to boil.
5. Thicken with cornflour. Pour the gravy over the meat and yam.
6. Steam the dish for 2 hours.




myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks absolutely delicious. I might try this one next time. My kids have never tasted red bean curd or white so I wonder how they will react. :)